What do you say to the little old lady who brings in her eyeglasses and asks you to insert the screw that holds the lens in because she can’t see to do it herself? She knows that you won’t charge her for the screw because she has the screw in this tissue. When you unwrap it, you find a mouse dropping.
Answer: Nothing. You just find a new screw, put it in and hand it back with a smile. Ed Menk, E. L. Menk Jewelers, Brainerd, MN
This article originally appeared in the January 2018 edition of INSTORE.
What's the Brain Squad?
If you're the owner or top manager of a U.S. jewelry store, you're invited to join the INSTORE Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting the jewelry industry. Good deal, right? Sign up here.
Latest Fun Stories
- This Piece of Jewelry Grew 12X in Value — or So Gene the Jeweler Thinks
- Cartoon: The Jeweler Gets a New Look
- Gene the Jeweler Takes Lots of Vacations — One Each Day, in Fact
- Wouldn't You Just Love to Say This to the Customer Who Pooh-Poohs a Complicated Repair?
- Cartoon: And It Was Love at First Sight ...
The Wilkerson Way
See how one jeweler's inventory sale turned unsold merchandise into cold, hard cash.