Gene explains the 'circle of jewelry life.'
In a sense, watch-battery replacement is a thriving business for Gene the Jeweler's store. He has an employee dedicated to the task, and she does about 50 jobs a day.
But he only charges $5 per replacement, and he pays the employee $12 an hour. He has to factor in the cost of the batteries, and the fact that occasionally, the employee breaks a watch and it has to be replaced.
All things considered, he couldn't be making much profit on the operation.
So why bother?
SEE MORE GENE THE JEWELER VIDEOS
Once again, the problems in Gene's fictional jewelry store reflect poorly on his management practices. He says the watch-battery situation is all part of the "circle of jewelry life."
But should it be?
Watch the video:
Latest Fun Stories
- Cartoon: Jewelry Design Is a Labor of Love
- Cartoon: The Jeweler Creates the Tool to End All Tools
- Gene Creates Lots of 'Custom' Jewelry ... But Does He Really?
- Believe It or Not, Avocado Ring Boxes Are Now a Thing
- New JVC CEO Gets Personal, Including Why She's a Nerd and Her Favorite Advice from RuPaul
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
A Worry-Free Way to Close Shop
Ron Pierro, owner of Pierro's Jewelers in Brandenton, Florida, chose Wilkerson to run his going out of business sale. From marketing to on-site sale management, Wilkerson did it all--giving Ron the kind of closure that only comes from trusting the best. Wilkerson.