Gene explains the 'circle of jewelry life.'
In a sense, watch-battery replacement is a thriving business for Gene the Jeweler's store. He has an employee dedicated to the task, and she does about 50 jobs a day.
But he only charges $5 per replacement, and he pays the employee $12 an hour. He has to factor in the cost of the batteries, and the fact that occasionally, the employee breaks a watch and it has to be replaced.
All things considered, he couldn't be making much profit on the operation.
So why bother?
SEE MORE GENE THE JEWELER VIDEOS
Once again, the problems in Gene's fictional jewelry store reflect poorly on his management practices. He says the watch-battery situation is all part of the "circle of jewelry life."
But should it be?
Watch the video:
Latest Fun Stories
- This Piece of Jewelry Grew 12X in Value — or So Gene the Jeweler Thinks
- Cartoon: The Jeweler Gets a New Look
- Gene the Jeweler Takes Lots of Vacations — One Each Day, in Fact
- Wouldn't You Just Love to Say This to the Customer Who Pooh-Poohs a Complicated Repair?
- Cartoon: And It Was Love at First Sight ...
The Wilkerson Way
See how one jeweler's inventory sale turned unsold merchandise into cold, hard cash.