Gene explains the 'circle of jewelry life.'
In a sense, watch-battery replacement is a thriving business for Gene the Jeweler's store. He has an employee dedicated to the task, and she does about 50 jobs a day.
But he only charges $5 per replacement, and he pays the employee $12 an hour. He has to factor in the cost of the batteries, and the fact that occasionally, the employee breaks a watch and it has to be replaced.
All things considered, he couldn't be making much profit on the operation.
So why bother?
SEE MORE GENE THE JEWELER VIDEOS
Once again, the problems in Gene's fictional jewelry store reflect poorly on his management practices. He says the watch-battery situation is all part of the "circle of jewelry life."
But should it be?
Watch the video:
Latest Fun Stories
- Video: Gene the Jeweler Hired His Nephew ... And at Least Insurance Covered the Damage
- Cartoon: Now That's Customer Service ...
- Video: Sometimes You Have to Fire a Customer ... And Here's a Great Example
- Video: Gene the Jeweler Explains His Moonstone Strategy
- Here's What All Jewelers Wish They Could Say to Ring Lickers
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
“Halfway Through the Sale, We Already Did a Year’s Worth of Volume”
Torin Bales says he was “blown away” by Wilkerson’s results after the company ran his retirement sale. “When you hire a consultant, you have to let them take control,” says the Texas retailer. After all, if you’re like most jewelers, you only retire once. Get the maximum return on your life’s investment. Turn to Wilkerson & Associates and let your new life begin!