Do you (or will you soon) accept Bitcoin as payment for your goods and services?
- It’s just a sign of the times and another form of currency. It will be as common as accepting credit cards some day. — Jennifer Farnes, Revolution Jewelry Works, Colorado Spring, CO
- Still researching. Always like to be on top of technology as it appears on the horizon and want to be ahead of the game so I can compete effectively with the big boys. — Susan Eisen, Susan Eisen Fine Jewelry & Watches, El Paso, TX
- Working on the learning process now. — Valerie Savvenas, Manoli’s Jewelers, Springfield, MO
- No clue but I am learning. — James Adair, Adair Jewelers, Missoula, MT
- I have unfortunately had the experience of transacting in Bitcoin, It was to pay a hacker to allow me to access my server. The process of purchasing Bitcoin and storing it safely is an absolute nightmare. I’d rather be paid in gold coins. — Christopher Sarraf, Nuha Jewelers, Plainview NY
- Not sure what it is and how to use it. — Lisa McConnell, Lisa McConnell Design Studio, Fort Worth, TX
- Are you kidding! I know the faith and solidity of the U.S. Treasury is not what it used to be, but to build on air? — Eve J. Alfille, Eve J. Alfille Gallery and Studio, Evanston, IL
- We have trouble enough with charges and checks. — Marta Jones-Couch, Elements Ltd., Des Moines, IA
- Bitcoin: is that like imaginary money? I’ll accept it when I sell imaginary jewelry. — Mark Thomas Ruby, SunSpirit Designs, Loveland, CO
- Not that comfortable with it yet. Not against it though. — Greg Raskin, Raskin’s Jewelers, Presscott, AZ
- We have not had any requests to take digital currencies; if we have requests, we would consider it. — Mark Clodius, Clodius & Co. Jewelers, Rockford, IL
- Bit what? Do they fit in piggy banks? — Michael Cook, Walter J. Cook Jeweler, Paoli, PA
- I think that within the next 18 months, there will be several companies similar to Bitcoin, which will prevent Bitcoin from becoming the power crypto-currency that is predicted. Once the market gets diluted, these e-currencies won’t hold the value that is anticipated. If Bitcoin could get backed by gold, that would be the true game changer! — Jen Foster, David Douglas Designs, Marietta, GA
- We have not had any customers ask if we accept Bitcoin. Plus, nothing spends better than cold hard cash. — Erica Lorenz, Michael & Sons, Reno, NV
- Our area is two to three years behind in accepting new ideas. — Corey Miller, Leighton’s Jewelers, Merced, CA
- I don’t even like to accept credit cards, I sure as hell won’t accept fake money. — Peter Tims, White Mountain Jewelers, Show Low, AZ
- Not for us. Cash, check, or credit card only! — John Anthony, Jr., John Anthony Jewelers, Bala Cynwyd, PA
- Bitcoin seems unstable. I am not going to take the gamble. — Donnie Blanton, Brittany’s Fine Jewelry, Gainesville, FL
- I’m not set up for Bitcoin and I don’t anticipate myself doing so either. I prefer traditional payment methods. — Marc Majors, Sam L. Majors, Midland, TX
- We don’t do payment of any kind online, so Bitcoin is still quite a ways away for us. — Kim Hatchell, Galloway & Moseley, Sumter, SC
- Good old American dollars! We don’t accept the euro or Canadian dollars either! — Rosanne Kroen, Rosanne’s Diamonds & Gold, South Bend, IN
This article originally appeared in the January 2018 edition of INSTORE.
What's the Brain Squad?
If you're the owner or top manager of a U.S. jewelry store, you're invited to join the INSTORE Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting the jewelry industry. Good deal, right? Sign up here.
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
“Halfway Through the Sale, We Already Did a Year’s Worth of Volume”
Torin Bales says he was “blown away” by Wilkerson’s results after the company ran his retirement sale. “When you hire a consultant, you have to let them take control,” says the Texas retailer. After all, if you’re like most jewelers, you only retire once. Get the maximum return on your life’s investment. Turn to Wilkerson & Associates and let your new life begin!
Latest Know How Stories
- Two Ways to Keep From Discounting an Item
- Like the Tires of a Car, One Flat Salesperson Can Ruin the Experience
- Here's What You Say to Get a "Just Looker" to Try Something On
- This Crazy Experiment with Vacation Time Could Boost Your Employees' Performance
- Want to Make More Money? Leave Your Product Comfort Zone